1st post: I want to stop pulling my leg hair

Hi,
I pull out my leg hair with tweezers and I want to stop. I have scars and scabs all over my legs as I dig into my skin to get to the hair.
I know why this is happening; my anxiety/depression *loves* to manifest itself in new fun ways all the time πŸ™ƒ and this and tongue pushing are the cool new things πŸ™ƒπŸ™„πŸ₯΄πŸ‘Ž
Just looking for some help because I feel really alone and I want to stop. I didn’t realise that this was even a thing and it’s good to know that it is and that support exists.
I hope whoever reads this is feeling okay today. Anna

Comments

• Hiii Anna I welcome you to the warmth of this community hehe, it can really make you feel like there's people who understand.

I don't know if you have already but check out some of the posts already on here and you'll see alot of advice given to similar feelings of wanting to stop pulling and how to. The one I would see as the main advice is to identify all of your triggers E.g itching or stress or distraction and then try out many of the different methods that could substitute the feelings you're trying to get out of pulling (relief ) . So if it's feeling anxious you could try to journal everyday, exercise every morning for 20 minutes, go for walks everyday. If it's a feeling of procrastination you could: fill your pinterest with your life goals and what gets you excited and look at those every day for motivation, watch motivational youtubers like Alivia D Andrea, make to do lists in a nice journal and be specific on tasks for each day and cross them off as the day passes.

These are just a few quick things, after you have identified all your triggers specifically even things as small as wearing shorts where your legs show, you can then work on the methods. Just remember in this journey you will fail alot and it's okay because the more experience you get the more you will understand how your mind works.

So glad to have another person here and I hope I gave you some support or ideas :3 πŸ’Ÿ

~Yuri
  • Hi, thank you so much for this.
    I’ve been dealing with my mental health for a long time but never had to navigate something like this before so to be in an understanding space is already making me feel a bit brighter about it all ✨
  • Anytime we are all in this together πŸ’—

~Yuri
  • Hi Anna! Welcome to the forum. Leg hairs were my thing too. I found using an epilator helped in some ways. I still got to hunt for hairs and had the sensation of the hair coming out, but my fingers didn't go near the skin. Tweezers were banned from the house also! My desire to pull seemed to decrease over time.

• Hi @MichelleHarper - it's really good to hear from someone else who used to pull leg hair! Really helpful to hear you've had the same experience and yeah an epilator is something I'll definitely look into when my legs have healed a bit - thank you.