Need advice as I’m now getting bald patches 😢

I’m 33 and I’ve been pulling my hair out every day since having my son in 2019. I was referred for cbt but that did nothing to help and I’ve got bald spots all over. I’m getting married in 5 months, I know it won’t grow back in time but if I carry on pulling my hair out, I’m going to find it very hard to hide the balding spots. I used to have long thick hair but I’ve had to get it cut just below my shoulders and it’s so thin you can see the light through it when I have my hair down. I’ve tried wearing a hat, shower cap, holding something in my free hand, gloves which I end up taking off. I find myself pulling when I’m scrolling though my phone, when I’m driving or sat in traffic. Please can someone suggest anything that I haven’t already tried. Thanks

Comments

• Hi, I’m cloe, I suffer from trich too Um I can suggest something I don’t know if it will stop the hair pulling but it will probably cover the patches apply makeup (eyeshadow to your hair type etc. Black, brown, blonde) that’s all I can think of hope this helps x
  • Oh yes I didn’t think of that. I’ll try some and see how it turns out so I could try and apply it for when I get married. Thank you x
  • No it’s okay :) I saw it on social media and thought that is a amazing idea because I have a bald patch on the back of my head so I’d do anything to cover it up there’s also a really good hair treatment called roots it’s from lush it’s normally about £14 - £24 pound but I swear by it literally fastens the process of hair growth and makes your hair grow back :) hope this helps :) that’s okay no worries have a amazing wedding xxx
  • I will give the lush product a try. I really like their products in there. Thank you for your advice, tips and well wishes for my wedding 🥰 x
  • It’s worth a go :) yeah me too and they’re animal cruelty free! You’re very welcome x
  • Hi Michelle. I second Cloe's advice, there are some spray on hair and hair thickening products that work really well for concealing patches.

In the meantime, I would recommend gloves for when you're on your phone or in the car. Keep some in the car so they're already there when you get in and try to get into the habit of putting them on straight away. Coconut oil when you're at home will make gripping the hair difficult and it improves hair condition for many that use it. You could use any conditioner too.

As you started pulling when you had a baby, I would try keeping a journal and seeing if you can see any patterns with when you're pulling most vs where you are in your menstrual cycle. Day 1 is the first day of bleeding and we generally have a hormonal change around days 1, 7, 14 and 21. Many women with tric find that their urges to pull increase during these times, especially days 1 and 14.

Have you got someone doing your hair on the day? It can be really scary thinking about seeing a hairdresser when you have tric, but we tend to find that hairdressers have seen it all before! We also forget that there are lots of reasons why we might have hair loss. You could speak to a stylist over the phone and explain your concerns and maybe find someone that you click with who could help you to feel confident on the day :)

• I will definitely have a look at different products that help with growth. I’ve seen gloves for this condition and also compatible with smart phone screen which I may try. I used to pull the gloves off as they wouldn’t work on my phone screen. If there is an app where I can log when I realise I’m pulling that would be good. I’ve just come on today and I’ve been pulling loads since getting home from work 🤦🏻‍♀️. I have spoke with my hairdresser and said I’ve got this problem and she said not to worry as she can use padding or faux hair bun to make it look thicker which is great. I’m 33 and I have so many grey hairs since having my boys. They grey ones feel different, quite thick like wire and I have curly hair so the strands feel bumpy. I pull it from the root then run my fingers down the strand because of how that one feels. Doctors referred me to cbt but it done nothing.
  • Hi Michelle

I was a bit confused at first as I thought you were Michelle from Trichotillomania Support. Finally worked out what is going on here. I had CBT too and I didn't find that helped either. Lots of people say this is good https://www.coaching.care/courses/paced-program-standard/

• Yeah, like I’m 25 and I’ve been pulling since primary school and I have like sensation spots for example I only pull from one spot on my hair and that’s the back of my head on the scalp same place just feels nice I don’t know Um then there’s my eyelashes like to pull my eyes lashes off from the corners because they annoy me like almost they get in the way like irration. I’m glad I’m with people that understand :) xxx
  • [quote] Hi Michelle

I was a bit confused at first as I thought you were Michelle from Trichotillomania Support. Finally worked out what is going on here. I had CBT too and I didn't find that helped either. Lots of people say this is good https://www.rachat-de-credit-simulation.com/rachat-de-credit/

Yeah, like I’m 25 and I’ve been pulling since primary school and I have like sensation spots for example I only pull from one spot on my hair and that’s the back of my head on the scalp same place just feels nice I don’t know Um then there’s my eyelashes like to pull my eyes lashes off from the corners because they annoy me like almost they get in the way like irration. I’m glad I’m with people that understand :) xxx [/quote]
    Are you sure it was possible? I did not understand. By the way, I am also 25 years old

• Yeah, it did work but when it stopped I just started all over again :( Aw cool, I’m glad we have things in common :) xxx