Trying to help my 6 year old - any advice?

My up until now confident and outgoing little girl (6) has started pulling out her eyebrows and eyelashes. This has been happening for about 2 weeks. We are struggling to understand the triggers - it seems to be a way of managing her emotions. She seems to have been very upset at some playground behaviour which was a bit mean and manipulative, and has taken to pulling to manage her feelings. School is being very supportive, and I am looking into play therapy. I've given her some stress toys, and have bought a cd, bracelet and finger caps today. I've been putting vaseline on her eyebrows and a plaster on her finger. Everyday we talk about ways to manage situations and the day - coping strategies.

Does anyone have any other advice on how to help her, or anything that's worked for them? I'd really like to hear from anyone who has experience with such a young child?

Thanks all!

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Kate! I shared a link to this page on the Facebook group and had the following responses:

Brooke:

My daughter is 11. She has been pulling since she was 3. She wore a lot of hats and bandanas. We also bought her gloves which she wore during down times. We had fidgets etc. We did shave her head a couple times out of necessity. We tried NAC which has had good reviews for hair pulling. It all helped but nothing "worked". Looking back I feel like we put way too much pressure on her to stop.

Adults have this and they struggle. How could I expect my child to be cognitively aware and responsible for what she was doing? After a while, I decided to treat her anxiety and ignore the pulling. We still did gloves, hats, etc. But we didn't make a big deal out of it. (So extreamly hard).

She went into remission for a while, 3 years. But started pulling again when she got sick and had to have surgeries. She pulled all of that beautiful 3 years of growth. 😞
    But we didn't make a big deal out of it.
    Anyway, someone told me about CBD oil for anxiety. So we tried it with her. Unexpectedly and amazingly we noticed that her impulse to pull was a lot better managed with the CBD oil.

This is non THC < .3% pharmaceutical grade CBD oil.
    Good luck! I know it is so hard.
    Feel free to IM me if you have any questions or if you need to talk.

• Vicky:

My son has been pulling his hair out for over 3 years, he is only 8, we try and keep his hands busy as much as we Can, most things we have purchased he has quickly broken in frustration. If you find something that helps, please let me know. There is also lots of ideas on this fb page, which is why I follow it.